Saturday, December 5, 2009

No More Disclaimers...

A friend of mine who read my “Lies like a Rug” post called me up and said that I shouldn’t have posted the disclaimer. She said that my words stood on their own merit, and that I had initially stated that they were my “personal observations, opinions, and sometimes random incoherent rants” so no need to do that.

That started me to thinking – (yes, I know how dangerous that is, but I can’t help myself.) I wondered, WHY LAWD WHY, it is that so many of us will give a disclaimer to something that we think, do, or feel? Hmmm…

Disclaimer is defined as “the act of disclaiming; the renouncing, repudiating, or denying of a claim. a statement, document, or assertion that disclaims responsibility, affiliation, etc.;” Upon consideration of that definition, I would say that most of the time, we do not want to renounce or deny what we have stated, but more so to further explain our rationale for our statements OR actions. In pondering this further, I considered that we could use some alternative words or phrases:

1. Cause – I said what I said CAUSE that is what I wanted to say!

2. Reason – If folk wouldn’t act the way they act, then I wouldn’t have REASON to act like I act!

3. Delimitating factors – We won’t even go there….

4. Alibi – Only necessary in situations that could ultimately end up in facing parents, spouses, significant others, the police, or on Judge Mathis!

5. “See what had happened was….” - You already know that what will follow that phrase is a lie added to the lie that started the conversation in the FIRST PLACE!


Legally, disclaimers keep a lot of companies off of the hot seat, but in interpersonal relationships – it’s just best to choose something a little different – now you have a few more options! Thanks my friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment